Right now I am in India working for a disaster mitigation NGO. It is my first time in the country in 28 years. Everyone seems a lot taller than I remember. I am a Masters student in public affairs and management. One might call me a marxist, once called an anarchist- recently I found myself enrolled at an ivy league school and got re-smacked with the reality bug; most people really are just in it for and about the money. I am not. This blog in general is my attempt at anger management.

6.03.2006

This morning I saw parrots and the Minaret…

One might expect WB Yeats to wax repetitious on the widening gyre right about now, or some other ode crafting poet to sing and praise Indian secularism and religious harmony with a massive minaret of the nearby masjid peaking through the haze of a drizzly morning. But it’s more a story of how what is unseen, stays that way until something simple focuses your attention. Truth be told I have looked toward the direction of the masjid at least a dozen times in the last two days and never saw it. The gathering of parrots, green, bright green, who gathered one by one on the terrace of a neighboring building triggered my attention. Only then did I see the tower, capped with a conical crown easing its way into sight. And in front of it, several kilometers closer, the five parrots seem to hop around each other, flapping their wings and jumping from terrace to power line to terrace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home