Right now I am in India working for a disaster mitigation NGO. It is my first time in the country in 28 years. Everyone seems a lot taller than I remember. I am a Masters student in public affairs and management. One might call me a marxist, once called an anarchist- recently I found myself enrolled at an ivy league school and got re-smacked with the reality bug; most people really are just in it for and about the money. I am not. This blog in general is my attempt at anger management.

6.09.2006

Last Night I Met A Big Ball of Hate

It has happened. It even happened in the flat I am living in. The Indian boy, age 20, believes Hitler was a great man. In fact, he even grins when he tells me, "Modi gave us a free pass to kill Muslims. It is too bad we didn't get more of them."

I was cornered in my own home by the very people I hoped to avoid while in Gujarat. What makes matters worse is that these two amped up- balls of hatred are part of an international student group who hosts most of the people staying in the flat. Though the views expressed by the big balls of hate are not representative of the hosting organization: one must take a moment and wonder...

Why the fuck are the Marwari funding the BJP and VHP? And if someone can tell me- when the Marwari decided they were the "most pure" caste in India- I would truly appreciate it.

I kept my cool, played along, I felt like I was in the presence of two brown-skinned skinheads. If they were bald, I would almost treat them like they had a good tan. A holiday in the sun perhaps? If I had my skateboard (which I haven't even ridden since age 14) I would have smacked them with it.

What gets even more interesting is that two of the women staying at the flat are German- adamantly opposed to presenting that era in a favorable light. They were shocked to find out that many in the state government (this state from which I write my communiques) is the very one that supports rewriting text books to reflect the very idea this installment began with. I typed it once- I'll be goddamned if I every type it again.

So back to this whole Marwari bit- I just thought it was the other so-called high-pure castes who support this crap.

3 Comments:

Blogger S.pet said...

Zach just forwarded me your URL. Looking forward to reading more!
-Sarah

10:08 AM

 
Blogger prudey mcprude said...

that's really disturbing.

2:19 PM

 
Blogger Rahul said...

Disturbing is only half of the equation. There are more just like them everytime you turn around. Check out the happenings in Mumbai from yesterday. Also- check out a story online of an NRI in Ahmedabad.

11:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home